Sterek

Sterek

Too many books - too much fanfiction - too little time

Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5) - Hugh Howey This book is part 1-5 of the Wool series.

I've copy/pasted my reviews here..

Part 1: Wool [b:Wool|12287209|Wool (Wool, #1)|Hugh Howey|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327889474s/12287209.jpg|17263666]

"Am I intrigued?

This is the first story of 7 (I think), and it’s.. interesting so far.

It’s a story set out in the future, people are living under ground in silos, because the air outside is acid and deadly.. Or is it?

We meet Holston in the first story, and he’s the sheriff of the town silo.

He lost his wife 3 years ago though, and since then he’s not been in a good place, and so he makes some.. life altering decisions.. Or does he?

To answer my first question..

Why yes, yes I am.. Or am I?"

------------------------------------

Part 2: Proper Gauge [b:Proper Gauge|13178410|Proper Gauge (Wool, #2)|Hugh Howey|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1323761382s/13178410.jpg|18358443]

"Do you know when you read a book, and you think: ”Its ok, I guess.. I’m not really that into it. I mean.. I’m not really involved at all. My feelings are not involved at all. “ and then something happens and you find yourself on the train gasping with your hand in front of your mouth. And as you look around, in what feels like slow-motion, on all the people looking at you, you think: “Well… I guess I’m into it.

To make a long story interesting short: I guess I’m into it.

In this part of the story we meet Jahns, who’s the mayor of the silo and Marnes who’s the sheriff.

They embark on a journey down south to the lowest levels of the silo to talk to a new sheriff candidate. The woman in question is Juliette who works with the machines at the lowest levels.

The thing is, nothing really happens, which, I guess, is why I was thinking “I’m not really that into it” in the first place. They walk down a lot, and I mean, a lot of stairs. Seriously? If you have machines you can install a freaking elevator! Think of the poor old people!

Anyway. Yes, they walk down, they meet some people, and then they walk up again..

Sounds interesting, right?

It shouldn’t be – it really shouldn’t – but I sat on the train with my hand in front of my mouth!"

------------------------------------

Part 3: Casting Off [b:Casting Off|13202200|Casting Off (Wool, #3)|Hugh Howey|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327889740s/13202200.jpg|18385155]

In this 3rd installment we mostly follow Juliette who we met at the last part of story #2. Juliette takes the job as Sheriff, but maybe she shouldn’t have.. Or should she?

I’ve said before that it’s weird being hooked to these stories, or just to this story (it’s really just one story) because “nothing really happens” and I still feel that way, but I may have figured out why.. It’s the pace of the story.. It’s really slow.. But that doesn’t mean it’s slow in a ‘bad’ way, but these people are living in a silo with stairs going up and down 100+ floors, so you can only imagine, that even when they are runing they are gasping and trying to catch their breath – which makes the pace seem slow I guess.. For me at least. But again, I don’t mean that in a bad way, it’s just.. different.. And like I said: I’m hooked, so how bad can it be, you know?

Anyway, Juliette is the Sheriff, but she can’t help to think about Hobson and what he did. She tries to use her new Sheriff powers, and ends up being sent to the cleaners… Or does she?

Definitely my favorite part so far.. Even with that cliffhanger!

4 stars
------------------------------------

Part 4: The Unraveling [b:The Unraveling|13314945|The Unraveling (Wool, #4)|Hugh Howey|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327889828s/13314945.jpg|18520973]

Part 4 in the Wool series.. What to say, what to say..

In this part, we finally get some of the answers to the many questions that have been building up. Enough answers, though? No. Definitely not.

I still haven’t found out why I like this series. Honestly, I don’t know why. Yes, it’s interesting, and I do want to know.. more, but I’m not hooked in any way. And like I’ve said before, I find the tempo of the book very slow, even when they are running, it’s slow! But ok, if I had to run up 139 level of stairs, I wouldn’t just be slow, I would be dead.. 5 levels up and I would be gone, but enough about me..

I find that I like the parts with Juliette the most, and because there are many other POV’s in this story, I can only give it 3 stars.

------------------------------------

Part 5: The Stranded [b:The Stranded|13425846|The Stranded (Wool, #5)|Hugh Howey|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1330545630s/13425846.jpg|18908634]

It must be a woman who wrote this.. Why else the happy ending, huh? Ok, I know it technically didn’t actually end here, since there is now a part 6 and 7, but still.. What is up with the happy ending?!

And how evil a person am I for not liking happy endings?!!

Anyway..

This was part 5 of the series, and it feels like it was supposed to end here, but really, what do I know about that?

Happy ending, really? Ugh.. Sorry. Still a little pissed about that.. If you’ve read the stories, you know how dark and gritty it started out, so why not continue with that? Why not make it even DARKER, for Christ sakes. Stories don’t always need flowers and poetry..

Anywayyy..

In this part we get answers to all or most of our questions. Definitely my favorite part minus the happy, boy crying, butterflies in stomach, love saves us all ending so far.. A lot of stuff goes down, and if you’ve read my reviews of 1-4 you’ll know how slow I thought it was – and still do, there’s just a lot more going on in this one, so it doesn’t feel as slow..

4 stars
------------------------------------

All in all I’ve enjoyed reading these stories, and had it not been for that happily ever after, I would have jumped on part 6 and 7 ASAP.. Now.. Yeah, I’m not so sure.. I’ll take a break and come back to them, I think.

The Omnibus gets 3,5 stars.