Sterek

Sterek

Too many books - too much fanfiction - too little time

Mortality - Christopher Hitchens

I have to admit I didn’t know of Christopher Hitchens. I got the opportunity to read this book, and after having read the blurb, it sounded like a man I wanted to know more about.

Sadly, I got to know Christopher Hitchens through this book, which is what turned out to be his last words, because Christopher was dying of cancer while he was writing it.

I’ve gotten to know more about him, been reading up on him, and from what I now know, I think Christopher and I would have been great friends. He sounds like a man that I could listen to for hours, and still not be bored. The people who know me would probably laugh at that idea, because Camilla? Sitting still for hours? Listening? Yeah, they would really laugh at that. But it’s possible. I do like to listen – when people have something interesting to say though. And from these last words, I think Christopher would have a lot of interesting stuff to say.

There are no people I respect more in the world, than people who can argue their own beliefs – Christians, Muslims, Jews, you name it, I may not agree with the thought of believing in a god, but if you can argue why you do, then I respect you.

Before “living dyingly” as he calls it, Christopher was known for debating Religion (as I’ve found out by reading ‘up on him’) and what I got most from this book, is that he continued to do that, even while dying.

Yes, I can say that I’m an atheist now, and I can say that I don’t believe in anything, but I can’t say what I will do when my time comes. I can’t say that I won’t all of sudden pray for ‘more time’ in a last attempt to “buy” more time – from whoever - god, the Doctors, [insert your own}. Who knows what I’ll do? I can say now that I probably won’t, because I don’t believe, but really – who knows what they will do in their ‘final hour’?

This book gives you just that, though. When he got sick with cancer, he writes about seeing posts online where religious people are talking about him getting cancer is a “gift from god” to “teach him a lesson” for arguing gods existence all these years..

Really religious people.. Really?!

Anyway. Christopher talks about this, and it’s remarkable how he’s still able to argue the concept of death – knowing that he’s (maybe) very close to it himself.

It sounds so wrong to say this, but I liked this book. I liked getting to know Christopher, liked hearing his thoughts, and liked and respected him so much for ‘sticking to his guns’ even in his final days.