Sterek

Sterek

Too many books - too much fanfiction - too little time

Don't believe the blurb

The Dog Stars - Peter Heller

Do you know those books that end with you thinking:

“Why did I spend so much time of my precious life reading this?”

That’s what I’m thinking and feeling right now after finishing this book..

It’s about Hig, and his dog, and their neighbor Bangley. They’ve survived some kind of decease/plague that took the life of a great deal of the population, and now it’s everyone’s fight for themselves.

Sounds pretty good, right? Yeah.. No..

After I finished the book I went back to read the blurb to see what had initially hooked me, and wow.. That blurb is one big lie.. Let me break it down for you..

“Leave it to Peter Heller to imagine a postapocalyptic world that contains as much loveliness as it does devastation.”

Loveliness?! No. Lie.

“The Dog Stars is a wholly compelling and deeply engaging debut”

No, its not. Lie.

“A riveting, powerful novel about a pilot living in a world filled with loss—and what he is willing to risk to rediscover, against all odds, connection, love, and grace.”

Riveting?! Let me laugh. No. Lie.
Btw, what is he “willing” to risk to find “love and grace”?! What?! Lie.

“Hig survived the flu that killed everyone he knows. His wife is gone, his friends are dead, he lives in the hangar of a small abandoned airport with his dog, his only neighbor a gun-toting misanthrope.”

This is true.. And also the entire storyline.

“Narrated by a man who is part warrior and part dreamer, a hunter with a great shot and a heart that refuses to harden, The Dog Stars is both savagely funny and achingly sad, a breathtaking story about what it means to be human.”

Savagely funny?! No. Lie.
Achingly sad? No. Lie.
Breathtaking?! Are you kidding me? No! Lie.

Boring as hell? Yes. Truth.