Sterek

Sterek

Too many books - too much fanfiction - too little time

The Secret Scripture: A Novel - Sebastian Barry

This is such a strange story. But at the same time I’m left with a sense of ease and.. well, of comfort after finishing it.

And that may sound strange when I now start to tell you what it’s about.

First we meet Roseanne, a patient at an ‘asylum’, as they called it at that time in the 50’s. Rosanne, is at this time already a middle-aged woman, so it’s no surprise that she is a 100 years old when we next meet her in 2007. But still clear in her head and a somewhat cheerful woman.

In 2007 we also meet the director of the mental hospital where she is still living. Because of some different things happening he decides to try and figure out why Roseanne was admitted in the first place.

And that is what this story is about. Why is Roseanne actually at a mental institution?
We get this story told through Roseanne’s secret diary and the Doctors writings too.

At first it’s hard to figure out what exactly is going on. Its written very peculiar, with a lot of.. whimsical words and sentences. I couldn’t for a long time see where this was going, but then halfway through, I got the point.. I thought.. But then 75% through I lost it again. And thank God for that, because if I hadn’t lost “the point”, I wouldn’t have had that nice comforted feeling I ended up having, after finishing the book.

This is a special book. It’s very.. peculiar.. Yes, I know I’ve used that word a lot, but really, that’s what it is.. peculiar.. And I don’t mean that in a negative way.
I liked the book, really, I did.. It was just.. peculiar.