Sterek

Sterek

Too many books - too much fanfiction - too little time

My Story - Elizabeth  Smart, Chris Stewart

I probably should have stopped reading this early on when I realized that it would be somewhat of a religious book. Well, not like the bible or anything, but the author pretty much thanked God for getting her kidnapped, and so I should definitely have stopped reading at that point, because Milla + religion = eye rolls.

Let’s get back to that though…

The reason why I should have stopped reading, is because I literally can’t write a review of this book, where I don’t focus on the religion, and I should be able to do that, because this is a book about a girl who got kidnapped when she was 14 and lived 9 months in hell(?) and I should be able to write a review about that, but instead I just want to go on and on about how stupid religion is, because it makes 14 year old girls THANK GOD FOR GETTING KIDNAPPED AND RAPED BY A SICK OLD MAN!!!

*exhale*

I’m glad she lived to tell this story, I really am, and I’m glad it seems she’s moved on and is living a great life now. I’m really happy about that. And I’m not an awful person, I’m really not, and I do respect other peoples beliefs, and also choice of religion (I do), but at the same time I have to [insert eye roll] when the girl in the book literally thought that it was GOD who put an actual cup of water next to her pillow, one night when she was thirsty and hungry. She literally thought that it was GOD, people!! Honey, if your God had the power to put an ACTUAL CUP OF WATER next to your pillow, I’m pretty sure he could have, you know, unchained you from that tree too, ok?

For reals, I can’t.

Anyway.. I’ve read a few of these survivor stories, and it’s really great to read what people are capable of surviving, how strong we are when we need it the most. In this case, I just wish she would take all the credit herself instead of giving it to some dude who lives on a cloud in the sky..

2 stars.