Sterek

Sterek

Too many books - too much fanfiction - too little time

Reconstructing Amelia - Kimberly McCreight

I did like this book but I felt like the ending was kind of anticlimactic. Which is weird considering you know what’s going to happen, you just don’t know the how it’s going to happen.

This is a book about a mother losing her only child, Amelia (which is not a spoiler btw, 'cause that kind of happens on the first page) and it’s about her trying to figure out what happened, if Amelia did really commit suicide. Kate, the mother, doesn’t think so, so she traces Amelia’s ‘last steps’ so-to-speak, while trying to find out what happened..

Even though the book has texts, Facebook posts, emails and blog posts, it’s really made up of chapters from both Kate and Amelia’s POV, in the same way Gone Girl is written, and just how it worked in Gone Girl it also works in this book, so no complains about that.

Gone Girl hooked you on an insane level though, so I can’t really compare the two, but this book hooks you too. You really want to know what happened; sadly the ending doesn’t really live up to it. Ok, I know I said I couldn’t compare this to Gone Girl, but thinking about it, it’s really hard not to. It’s the same kind of plot, the same kind of buildup, the same kind of ‘reconstruction’ storyline (you see what I did there?) the difference is that Gone Girl had an ending that left you like….. well… Go read my review, to see just how much it blew my mind, this book though..
This ending left me with a.. really? That’s all? Meh..

3 stars