Sterek

Sterek

Too many books - too much fanfiction - too little time

12 Years a Slave - Solomon Northup

It’s hard to review these kinds of books, because what do you base it on? The writing? The story? If the book captured your interest?

This book is the story of Solomon Northup, an Afro-American who was born a ‘free man’ in the 1800’s, but was kidnapped and ended up being a slave for 12 years, see title.

I’m sure most of us got to know this book, because the movie version was nominated for an Oscar, which is also how I first heard about it, but I haven’t watched the movie, and I don’t think I will. Not because I didn’t like the book, but because my interest was definitely captured, and I feel like the book handled that very well. I felt like I knew what I wanted to know when I closed the book or turned the kindle off.

You can’t really say you liked it because, hello, it’s a true story about slaves and who likes that? But I did like Solomon’s writing, and I think it’s crazy that this was written in the 1800’s because I liked it a lot more than I’ve liked many living authors..

All in all this was a very interesting read, and I did get choked up when Solomon got to hug his kids and wife again and so for that it definitely gets 4 stars